Ditch the Clingfilm - Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Plastic Wrap
You reach for the clingfilm to cover that leftover bowl of pasta. As you start wrapping, you pause. This single-use plastic wrap will be in a landfill for decades. There must be a better way.
Here's the good news! There are easy, reusable alternatives to clingfilm that are better for your health and the environment. Keep reading to learn how to cover and store food without creating plastic waste.
The Problem With Clingfilm
Clingfilm, also called plastic wrap, seems so convenient. But that convenience comes at a cost. Here are a few downsides of using disposable plastic wrap:
- Destined for Landfills - Clingfilm is single-use. The average UK household goes through 4 rolls of clingfilm each year, creating tons of waste.
- Made from fossil fuels - Clingfilm starts as natural gas or petroleum, which are non-renewable resources.
- Not great for your health - There are concerns that chemicals may leach from the plastic into food, especially with heat.
- Wasteful - It can be tricky to wrap items neatly in clingfilm. You often end up using way more than needed. Most cling film also can't be recycled.
The good news is there are reusable, plastic-free ways to cover and store your food. Here are a few excellent clingfilm alternatives:
- Beeswax wraps: These reusable cloth wraps are coated in beeswax, tree resin, and oils. Secure them around bowls, produce and more for a pretty and naturally anti-bacterial alternative to cling film. Us the warmth from your hands to mold around bowls and food to create an airtight seal.
- Reusable silicone bags: These flexible, food-grade silicone bags are airtight, leakproof, and stand up to thousands of uses. Great for storing leftovers, sandwiches and freezing foods.
- Glass storage containers: Durable glass containers come in handy sizes and shapes. They keep food fresh while being reusable and plastic-free. Try re-using an old jam jar to store your nuts, for example.
- Stainless steel containers: Long-lasting stainless steel bento boxes and pots offer BPA free food storage for meals and snacks on the go.
Tips for Plastic-Free Storage
Making the switch from clingfilm to reusable wraps and containers is easy. Here are a few handy tips:
- Use different sizes for versatility - combine small snack pots with large freezer bags.
- Allow foods to cool completely before storing to prevent condensation.
- Hand wash items with mild soap and dry thoroughly between uses. Pop in the dishwasher if easier.
- To freeze, ensure containers are freezer-safe and leave an inch of room for expansion.
- Label foods with contents and dates using masking tape or a washable marker pen.
Go Plastic-Free with Moonmoon
Moonmoon offers an excellent selection of reusable food storage options to help you go plastic-free. Our high-quality silicone bags, stainless steel bento boxes, and organic cotton beeswax wraps are designed to be extra durable and easy to use.
Make the switch from wasteful clingfilm to an eco-friendly alternative. Small changes like this make a big difference in reducing plastic waste. Your future self and the planet will thank you!